Hand Painting Paper
Description and Techniques:
Learn to create your own decorative papers with techniques from Elizabeth’s book “Painted Paper Art Workshop” which features over 30 different ways to paint paper. Some of the techniques we’ll explore include the Gelli Plate, stencils, stamping, texture rubbing, alcohol and soap bubble resist, Gyotaku fish printing, mark making, and more!
For this class we will be focusing on techniques for creating colorful papers for collage, scrapbooking, gift wrap, note cards, place cards, mobiles, etc. Elizabeth will teach through demonstration and individual guidance. Combine this class with the Flora and Fauna one-day Mini Collage Class or the Love Story: A Hand-Painted Altered Book for a hand-in-hand combo.
Workshop Image Gallery (click on the thumbnail to see full images):
Duration of Class:
One Day (6 Hours)
Mixed Media Painting
Student Supply List:
- RICE PAPER, Hosho or Shuji Gami Kozo Paper Roll. Washi or Unyuri white papers with and without fibers/texture
- VARIETY OF PAPERS, sheet music, maps, wallpaper, hand written notes, old book pages, handmade papers, deli paper, white tissue – variety of thickness and textures. You can do this totally with found papers
- DECORATIVE PAPERS, papers you purchase at your local art supply store with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. Please purchase in white or natural if possible, this allows for the most color options when painting
- NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers please. We will experiment with hand-painting, -staining, -stamping and -patterning a variety of papers. Please bring any stamps, toothbrushes, palette knives or stencils and a Gelli Plate* you might like to use for adding texture. I will provide a table with shared materials at the front of the room
- GOLDEN FLUID ACRYLIC PAINTS & WHITE GESSO I prefer Golden fluid acrylics for painting papers as they maintain their vibrancy when watered down and the translucency gives a wonderful layering and multiplying effect. Small container of white gesso to be used as white/opaque paint
- PAINT BRUSHES variety of sizes from medium to large
- WATER VESSEL
- PAPER TOWELS for cleanup
- PAPER PLATES for palette
- Optional: GELLI PLATE AND BRAYER I have three Gelli Plates for sharing, however they are usually a huge hit and if you want to bring your own, you are welcome to, along with a brayer. Visit GelliArts.com if you are not familiar with this product
- Optional: PALETTE PAPER A pad of shiny surface palette paper to use as a portable work surface for your papers
- Optional: GALLON PLASTIC ZIP BAGS for organizing papers
- We will experiment with hand-painting, staining, stamping and patterning a variety of papers. Please bring any stamps, toothbrushes, palette knives or stencils and a Gelli Plate* you might like to use for adding texture.
Provided by instructor:
- A table with a variety of shared materials at the front of the room.
Min # of students: 10
Max # of students: 18