Flora and Fauna: Mini Collage Class (8 x 8 and 10 x 10)
Description and Techniques:
In this one-day workshop, you will learn how to create a painterly collage by adhering torn tidbits of paper over the top of an acrylic underpainting. Please bring a reference photo of a simple song bird or simple floral with a colorful background. Suggestions are Cardinals, Bluebirds, Robins, Gold Finches, Painted Bunting, Zebra Finch and daisies, lilies, roses, or wildflowers. These simple flora and fauna offer bright colors and shapes that are easy to render in collage.
In addition to learning how to do a basic underpainting for collage, you will also learn how to tear paper to eliminate white edges and use paper pieces like brush strokes.
Workshop Image Gallery (click on the thumbnail to see full images):
Duration of Class:
One Day (6 Hours)
Mixed Media Collage
Student Supply List:
- COLORFUL PAPER – If you have created your own collage papers through my Painted Paper Workshop or on your own, please bring them to this class along with other interesting papers
- VARIETY OF PAPERS, scrap book papers, sheet music, maps, wallpaper, hand written notes, old book pages, personal ephemera, etc.
- DECORATIVE PAPERS, with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. See the luxurious selection at your local art store
- NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers please
- CANVAS PANELS economy surface for support. This is mat board covered with pre-primed canvas, NOT stretched canvas. 8” x 8” and 10” x 10” size
- ACRYLIC PAINTS for under-painting on panel. You can use any acrylic paint you have on hand. Consider colors for your subject that you intend to create
- FILBERT STYLE PAINT BRUSHES (half inch – one inch) for under-painting and applying glue
- LIQUITEX GLOSS GEL MEDIUM, this is the collage glue
- WATER VESSEL
- PAPER TOWELS for cleanup
- PAPER PLATES for palette
- REFERENCE PHOTO PRINT OUT for the subject you intend to collage, as close to actual size as possible
- OPTIONAL:*WOOD PANELS I work on both flat and deep boxed wood painting panel. This is a more expensive option than canvas panel but will not warp. Please purchase pre-gessoed panels.
Min # of students: 10
Max # of students: 18