Beginning Embroidery – Learn to draw with Thread!
Have you ever wanted to create fiber art or to customize your clothing and linens? In this course, you will learn classic and experimental hand sewing techniques to create drawings in thread. After this day long intensive, you can consider yourself an embroidery expert!
We will learn how to successfully sew several different embroidery stitches that will create unique surfaces, lines, and texture. The morning will be spent learning 7 classic stitches including: running stitch, backstitch, whipped back stitch, couching, blanket stitch, satin stitch, and french knot.
After lunch we will expand on basic stitches to create intricately woven, embellished, and textured drawings with threads. Learn creative stitches like whipped spider webs, turkey work, appliqué, chain stitch and tiny woven stitches.
• Threading a needle
• Tying knots that don’t pull through the fabric
• How to make even stitches
• Posture and hand position
• Mounting and framing
• Image Composition
• Learn multiple embroidery stitches
Workshop Image Gallery (click on the thumbnail to see full images):
Duration of Class:
One Day (6 Hours)
Embroidery Floss, Fabric, Wood
Student Supply List:
- Fabric scissors/thread snips
Provided by instructor:
- Kit Fee: $15 (payable to instructor at class time)
- Embroidery Starter Kit includes 2 needles, 10 colors of embroidery floss, needle threader, fabric, embroidery hoop and stitch instruction packet for later reference.
Min # of students: 8
Max # of students: 25