Kathy Beekman – A Different Approach to Painting; Cropping & Rethinking the Landscape
Duration of Class: One Day (6 Hours) // Medium: Soft Pastel // Skill Level: All
This day is split into two 3-hour segments.
Part One: A Different Approach to Painting; Cropping
Invite the viewer into your painting. Cutting off objects at the edges can have the effect of bringing the viewer into the painting and can create the illusion of events happening beyond the paper’s edge. You’ll learn to decide where the outer edges of the painting should be and how they should contain the subject through careful cropping. Pre- and post-cropping techniques will be explored as you complete a painting.
Part Two: Rethinking the Landscape
Need a little creative thinking in your life? This workshop will explore the idea of creating multiple pastel paintings of the same landscape using techniques such as cropping and reformatting. Your instructor will share her clever ways of squeezing the last bit of energy out of an idea. Experience the rush of creative thinking!
• Overview of materials to be used
• Finger painting
• Basic Design Principles
• Exploring different papers (canvases)
• Paper tooth
• Discovering how to use different kinds of soft pastels
• Using different hand positions
• Learning to create different strokes
• Creating compositions to direct the eye
• Appropriately cropping soft pastel paintings
• Applying fixative to soft pastel paintings
• How to care for soft pastel paintings