Kathy Beekman – Exploring Pastel Painting & “Do You Have Rhythm”
Duration of Class: One Day (6 Hours) // Medium: Soft Pastel // Skill Level: All
Part One: Exploring Pastel Painting
The statement “I wish I could paint” really means I wish I could convey through painting how I feel about what I am seeing. This class is designed to suit the beginner, as well as the continuing student desiring to extend their range of skills. The instructor will demonstrate pastel techniques that will include blending colors and working from the background to the foreground. Participants will complete a painting during this 3-hour segment.
Part Two: Do You Have Rhythm?
Artists get excited when they create a painting that has punch. One of the key elements to a painting is its rhythm. This workshop is aimed at helping you compose paintings that have repetition, shadow patterns, and/or alternating shapes. You’ll find yourself completing a painting with a sense of drama and movement.
• Overview of materials to be used
• Finger painting
• Basic Design Principles
• Exploring different papers (canvases)
• Paper tooth
• Discovering how to use different kinds of soft pastels
• Using different hand positions
• Learning to create different strokes
• Creating compositions to direct the eye
• Applying fixative to soft pastel paintings
• How to care for soft pastel paintings