Patti Calande – Cut, Stencil, Stitch from Scratch (Two Day Workshop)
Have you ever wanted to create your own beautiful, comfortable clothing? Join me in this exciting two-day workshop, where you will cut, stencil and hand stitch your very own Alabama Chanin inspired garment from scratch! Using your Alabama Chanin pattern, you will cut your garment from Alabama Chanin’s most wonderful organic cotton jersey fabric. Next we’ll have fun with spray paint as you stencil your garment and a small sewing sampler with fabric paint. The second day you’ll practice hand stitches and techniques on your sewing sampler, then progress to stitching your garment.
You will not have a completed project at the end of the workshop, but you will have gained key hands-on experience to complete this and other beautiful, heirloom hand stitched projects.
Here are the specific project choices and which book they’re in. (1) is Alabama Stitch Book; (2) is Alabama Studio Style; (3) is Alabama Studio Sewing and Design; all by Natalie Chanin, available at www.amazon.com or www.Alabamachanin.com.
Corset (1); Shawl (1); Swing skirt (1); Camisole top (2); Tank top (2); T-shirt top (sleeveless, cap, short sleeved) (3); Bolero (3); Fitted top (3); Fitted tunic (3); short fitted skirt (3); Mid-length fitted skirt (3).
Contact me by August 21st, 2017 with your project and color choices. I’m here to help you with any and all questions you may have! Please email me email@example.com.
• Cutting fabric
• Stenciling/painting fabric
• Physics of Sewing, Tips and Tricks
• Various Hand stitches
• Quilting, Applique, Reverse applique, Negative reverse applique
• Garment construction
• Beading, Couching
Workshop Image Gallery (click on the thumbnail to see full images):
Duration of Class:
Two Days (12 Hours)
Student Supply List:
- Alabama Chanin pattern with corresponding book
- Fabric scissors
Provided by instructor:
- Kit/Materials Fee – $97 (payable to instructor at class time)
- Kit fee provides for the following: 2 Yards Alabama Chanin 100% Organic Cotton Jersey Fabric, 1 Yard Pellon, 4 Spools of Coats & Clark Button Craft thread, Foldover elastic if applicable, Use of Clover chalk, spray fabric paint, assorted stencils, spray adhesive, paper, rags, healing mats, rotary cutters, rulers, assorted scissors, pins, needles, etc.
Min # of students: 8
Max # of students: 12