Patti Calande – Hand Stitching and Embellishing, The Alabama Chanin Way
The Alabama Chanin Way offers a fresh take on age-old hand stitching techniques. Join Alabama Chanin Certified Sewing Instructor, Patti Calande, in exploring these techniques, such as applique and reverse applique. You’ll discuss different types of stitches, from the running stitch to elaborate embroidery stitches, and their applicable uses. Patti will go over some of her favorite tips and tricks to help make for a smooth, successful sewing experience. She’ll touch on materials, beading, couching; and you’ll learn garment construction.
You’ll enjoy how portable these projects are. Since this is all hand stitching, there’s no sewing machine required. You’ll be using a tea towel kit, cut from 100% domestic organic cotton as your sewing sampler to learn and practice different hand stitching techniques during class. As an added option, you may bring your own Alabama Chanin DIY kit to class, and Patti will help you get started on it. You will not have a finished project at the end of class, but you will have the knowledge to complete your tea towel, to create projects of your own, and to hand stitch beautiful heirloom creations.
Contact Patti at email@example.com for further information and with any questions, and by August 21st, 2017, to choose your color and stencil design for your tea towel sewing sampler. This class is suited for beginning and experienced sewers alike. I hope you’ll join us in learning how to hand stitch your own heirloom creations!
• Physics of Sewing, Tips and Tricks
• Various Hand stitches
• Quilting, Applique, Reverse applique, Negative reverse applique
• Garment construction
• Beading, Couching
Workshop Image Gallery (click on the thumbnail to see full images):
Duration of Class:
One Day (6 Hours)
Student Supply List:
- Patti will supply everything you need.
- OPTIONAL: One of Natalie Chanin’s books would be a great reference guide. They can be ordered through Amazon.com.
- OPTIONAL: If you would like to bring your own Alabama Chanin DIY kit to class, Patti will help you get started on it. DIY kits may be ordered at www.alabamachanin.com.
Provided by instructor:
- Kit/Materials Fee – $20 (payable to instructor at class time)
- Kit fee provides for the following: Complete tea towel kit cut from Alabama Chanin 100% Organic Cotton, including thread, needles, and pins. Instructional handouts and use of rulers, assorted scissors, pins, needles, etc.
Min # of students: 8
Max # of students: 20