Jenny Doh – Gouache Portraits
Duration of Class: One Day (6 Hours) // Medium: Gouache // Skill Level: All
WHAT THE GOUACHE?!
Gouache performs like watercolor but its constitution allows layers to build up in an opaque fashion, which is not possible to achieve through watercolor. Its constitution is also different from acrylics because there is no plastic in the medium, which allows it to move very much like watercolor and also it dries with a uniquely matte sheen that is unlike acrylic and unlike pure watercolor.
SUPPLIES & ORGANIZATION
I will share details of my supplies and my organizational methods, as well as tips on how to draw accurately, and the fundamentals of color mixing. I will also share finishing methods that I consider the final magical moments of gouache portrait painting.
FROM VALUES TO COLOR
The first part of class will be about drawing our subject and then painting the subject with black gouache that we mix into light, medium, and dark values. The second part of class will be about adding color to the value painting in a truly exciting way that will lead each enrolled artist to experience gouache success.
- Overview of tools and materials with principles of best practices in terms of handling gouache paints, and caring for tools
- Basic principles of color-mixing
- How to prepare the substrate
- How to make a rough drawing of subject
- How to start painting the values from light, medium to dark
- How to add color onto the value painting
- How to add finishing touches
click on thumbnails to see full image