Kathy Beekman – Keeping it Simple & Glow
Duration of Class: One Day (6 Hours) // Medium: Soft Pastel // Skill Level: All
This day is split into two 3-hour segments.
Part One: Keeping it Simple
Create beautiful landscapes with a minimal amount of color and strokes. This workshop is an enjoyable alternative to putting down a lot of information about the subject matter that you are painting. You will focus on little landscapes full of color patches and natural shapes. A great class for the beginner and the continuing pastel painter.
Part Two: Glow
One of the outstanding properties of pastels is its rich glowing color. In this workshop, you will learn how to take advantage of the nearly pure pigment of the pastel medium. Fine tune your powers of observation, develop your own color palette, and create your personal statement within your paintings, all with the glowing color of pastels.
• Overview of materials to be used
• Finger painting
• Basic Design Principles
• Exploring different papers (canvases)
• Paper tooth
• Discovering how to use different kinds of soft pastels
• Using different hand positions
• Learning to create different strokes
• Using different colors to create emotion
• Creating compositions to direct the eye
• Applying fixative to soft pastel paintings
• How to care for soft pastel paintings
• Framing pastels
click on thumbnails to see full image